; Dravid-One of the most satisfying hundreds of my career | Google Operating System News

Monday 25 July 2011

Dravid-One of the most satisfying hundreds of my career

Dravid-One of the most satisfying hundreds of my career









Rahul Dravid after reaching his 100 during the third day of the first Test against England at Lord's.
LONDON: Riddled with self-doubt last year, senior Indian batsman Rahul Dravid said the unbeaten hundred against England in the ongoing first Test has come as one of the most "satisfying and fulfilling" moments of his career.
In Pics: Indian Test centurions at Lord's
Dravid conceded that he doubted himself after he had a dismal series in South Africa last year.
"When runs don't come you do doubt yourself. It's natural occupational (hazard) for sportspersons," stated Dravid whose typically back-to-wall unbeaten 103 -- his 33rd Test ton -- helped India avert the follow-on on Saturday.

Dravid made 120 runs from six innings of three Tests at 20 apiece in South Africa last year but is now back to his best with two centuries in one month -- 116 in Jamaica last month and at Lord's yesterday.
"I think this one is one of my best ever. Jamaica was special because we won the Test and it was not easy wicket to bat on. And now this one, given the context of the game and conditions, has been most satisfying and fulfilling," he said.
"I always love touring England. You just look at this Test, the packed stands, Test cricket is still supported here and as a Test player who loves Test cricket, there is no better place. They support and clap irrespective of who takes wickets or makes runs. It's a lovely tour to play because you know you will be playing in front of packed houses."
Dravid missed out on a century in his maiden innings in Test cricket at this very venue in 1996 but made up for it 15 years on.
"I must admit it did stay with me (missing out on century in 1996). But it was not the end of the world -- I felt if it happened here good otherwise there are a lot of great cricketers who have not got it," Dravid said.
"But it was at the back of my mind, I knew I had one more go. Now having done so in circumstances like this makes it feel special. It's good to have your name on the honours board for this is one honour which is still talked about the most among international cricketers," he added.
"At that time (in 1996), I never understood significance (of missing out on hundred at debut). I was a young man just happy to get a game. To end up with 95 runs I couldn't have asked for a better start. 15 years later, I know the game has given me so much and changed me as a person. I was a really shy young man in 1996," Dravid said.

3 comments:

  1. http://googlesystem-googlenews.blogspot.com/2011/07/dravidone-of-most-satisfying-hundreds.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riddled with self-doubt last year, senior Indian batsman Rahul Dravid said the unbeaten hundred against England in the ongoing first cricket Test here has come as one of the most 'satisfying and fulfilling' moments of his career.

    Dravid conceded that he doubted himself after he had a dismal series in South Africa last year.

    “When runs don't come you do doubt yourself. It's natural occupational (hazard) for sportspersons,” stated Dravid whose typically back-to-wall unbeaten 103 -- his 33rd Test ton – helped India India avert the follow-on yesterday.

    Dravid made 120 runs from six innings of three Tests at 20 apiece in South Africa last year but is now back to his best with two centuries in one month -- 116 in Jamaica last month and at Lord's yesterday.

    “I think this one is one of my best ever. Jamaica was special because we won the Test and it was not easy wicket to bat on. And now this one, given the context of the game and conditions, has been most satisfying and fulfilling,” he said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I always love touring England. You just look at this Test, the packed stands, Test cricket is still supported here and as a Test player who loves Test cricket, there is no better place. They support and clap irrespective of who takes wickets or makes runs. It's a lovely tour to play because you know you will be playing in front of packed houses.”

    Dravid missed out on a century in his maiden innings in Test cricket at this very venue in 1996 but made up for it 15 years on.

    ReplyDelete